Monday, October 23, 2006

Lorna Dee Cervantes @ Nuestra Palabra, U. of Houston Tomorrow & Texas all week

Maybe I'll see you there? I hope so. (I LOVE TEXAS!) Y'all:

---------------------------------
Lorna Dee Cervantes visits Houston
Nuestra Palabra Presents acclaimed Mexican American Poet

Tuesday, October 24, 7 pm – 8:30 pm @ the University of Houston Architecture Building Theatre. 4800 Calhoun Rd, Houston, TX 77004. Free Admission. Hosted by Nuestra Palabra Director Tony Diaz, the evening will include performances by young poets inspired by Lorna’s writings and work influenced by Day of the Dead. A reception and book signing will follow. The event will be broadcast live on 90.1 FM, KPFT, from 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm.

“This is what it means to be a poet.” – Ana Castillo

“She taught us that poetry can change the world.” – Sandra Cisneros

“We are transfixed as she juggles rage, cruelties, passion.” – Joy Harjo

"Lorna Dee Cervantes knows the blood in the streets and the blood of the heart, the blood that spills and the blood that keeps us alive. Come and see." - Martín Espada

Directions to UH Architecture Building Theatre: Directions to this building from I-45 South (downtown): - exit Cullen, - turn right on Cullen. - turn left at 1st light, Elgin St., - turn right into UH Entrance 18, - the Architecture Building is straight ahead, - to park, turn right at stop sign, - turn right into parking lot 16B

Brought to you by: Texas Commission for the Arts * National Endowment for the Arts * Houston Arts Alliance * Houston Community College TV * HCC Central English Department * The Center for Mexican American Studies * KPFT 90.1 FM * MFAH


Other Texas performances & appearances:

Southwest Writers and Artists Festival
Oct. 24 - 26
Keynote reading: Oct. 26, 8 - 9 pm.
Texas A & M, College Station, TX

Texas Book Fair
Oct. 26-29
Reading & panel: Oct. 28, 3:30 - 4:30
Book signings at Wings Press booth

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosa said...

I heard from Nuestra Palabra that you would be in Texas all week; I'm so excited to meet you. I'm in school at Texas A&M college station and I know you'll be coming here too! I just learned about your work a couple of months back and I fell in love with your poetry. Hispanic writers (especially women) inspire me; I am an aspiring writer and one day hope to publish a book. Again, I cannot wait to meet you.

23/10/06 13:21  
Blogger the amplified bard said...

Hi Lorna,

I read with you last night at Nuestra Palabra. It was definitely an honor and I hope you enjoy the poems I gave you. Also, thanks for the nice dedication you wrote on a copy of your book for me. Anyway, check out my blog sometime and let me know what you think. I'll soon post about the reading last night.

25/10/06 17:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next