Friday, November 16, 2007

Haas Mroue, Former CU Boulder CWP Student, Passes

Sad, sad, sad. Very sad news tonight. I just heard from Marcos at Poetry For the People, that one of my former students and mentees, Haas Mroue, died in Lebanon, where he was born, of a heart attack - at 41. Haas was an exceptionally talented writer. He wrote poetry, novels, short stories, screenplays, plays, essays and travel articles for Frommers and others. He was an incredibly lovely person - in all ways. He was well loved and will be missed tremendously. Haas was a student in my undergraduate class, and was so advanced that I moved him to my graduate poetry workshop, where he excelled, and I recruited him for the graduate program which he joined the following semester. While in my workshop, Haas wrote the powerful and moving collection of poetry, BEIRUT SEIZURES, which was published in '93.

I last saw Haas years ago in San Diego, and so I had been thinking of him heavily this last trip there last week. I wondered if he was there and would come to the reading. Yes, he was there. Haas moved to Port Townsend, Washington after San Diego, where he found a home.

It is bittersweet to think of him rediscovering his home in Lebanon after so long in exile. Haas, you will always have a home in our hearts. More later, when my eyes clear.

Haas Mroue (Haseeb Haseeb Mroueh) Obituary:



click image to enlarge

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Terrible news! And difficult to believe the man in the photograph had a heart attack at 41!

16/11/07 03:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haas was a great friend of mine. I am still trying to put the pieces of this news together. Does anyone have a way to reach his mother in England. I don't want to believe this. What a loss.

I'm Michael in Miami. Thank you for posting this.

16/11/07 15:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I did a quick search for Haas Mroue after reading some news about the Middle East. I have his book after being a student in Poetry for the People and I thought of him as I read the news. Lo and behold, he just passed. Still, his work lives on, greatly enriching lives.

16/11/07 21:11  
Blogger Aspiring Traveller said...

Hi Michael, I am Haas's cousin, Sana. Please send me an email to sanachebaro@hotmail.com and I will email you Haas's mother's details.

Best,

Sana

17/11/07 06:43  
Blogger trevor baumgartner said...

Haas's limitless love helped...rather, enabled those around him to love w/o limit, as well. His star cannot be extinguished.

18/11/07 13:44  
Blogger Lyle Daggett said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Lorna.

19/11/07 19:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear of Haas's passing. Many of my friends knew, loved and admired Haas while we were studying literature & poetry at UC Berkeley.

And although I wasn't fortunate enough to to have known him personally, I loved, admired and identified with him through his poetry. As I am an Assyrian, born in Iraq and raised in the U.S.---who has lost several close family members in the Iraq war---Haas has been and will continue to be my voice and inspiration. Haas will be sorely missed. I would like to extend my deepest condolences to his family.

Nabeel Younan

20/11/07 14:09  
Blogger Shah said...

I was fortunate to have known such a man, He enriched all that crossed his path.

23/11/07 02:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ai appris la disparition de Haas, 2ans déjà,on ne peut pas le croire,à toute sa famille ,Lina sa soeur particulièrement, ma très grande tristesse et émotion . J'étais un bon ami de France, on philosophé beaucoup sur la vie,on a parlé beaucoup de la Palestine du Liban, du monde.!!!On s'était un peu perdu de vue ...
Un grand bonjour Haas de mes montagnes.Tu m'entends peut etre

Christophe

14/11/08 01:38  
Blogger iago73 said...

Haas, incroyable tu es parti si soudainement, j'ai eu beaucoup de
tristesse et d'émotion avec cette nouvelle,je veux adresser à sa
famille surtout à Lina sa soeur toute mon affection et amitié .Nous
nous sommes connu dans les Alpes Francaises en Grèce ou je
travaillais.Tu étais un citoyen du monde , à la recherche de tes
racines comme moi!!!

A très bientot Haas ,un grand bonjour du sommet de mes montagnes
Christophe
xtopheb@gmail.com

4/5/09 01:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next