HELP! Save the Last Feminist Bookstore In Texas
Help save the last feminist book store in Texas!
I received an email from a friend asking me to blog about this and it seems like a worthy cause.
BookWoman must raise $50,000 by mid-December — in addition to ongoing sales — in order to enter into a lease agreement for a new space. Otherwise, the store will close.
Long-term, BookWoman needs a sustainability plan. We've got a plan in the works, but there will be nothing to sustain if we don't solve this short-term crisis.
We are a powerful community of strong women and their allies who know how to get things done. Everyone must participate according to our ability. Donate. Raise money. Buy your holiday gifts at BookWoman. Attend one of our fabulous events. Host an event in your home.
From the website
Why BookWoman Matters
BookWoman is one of 12 remaining independent women's bookstores in the country — and the only one in Texas. Independent bookstores provide a venue for small presses and alternative viewpoints, in a publishing environment increasingly ruled by corporate conglomerates.
BookWoman is also a vital center for community and social activism. At BookWoman you can:
· Shop for your thirteen-year old niece and your grandmother.
· Discuss The Vagina Monologues and Eat Pray Love.
· Listen to Gretchen Phillips or Sharon Bridgforth.
· Meet emerging artists and engage with new ideas.
· Take home a signed copy of Lorna Dee Cervantes' latest book of poems. (!!!)
· Be yourself in a safe, nonjudging space.
To shop at bookwoman, click here or for the lucky Austinites:
918 W. 12th St. (12th & Lamar)
Austin, TX 78703