Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Lorna Dee in Ottawa Virtually and in San Diego Actually

Hey! I'm featured in the arts section of the Ottaway Valley today and on their website; or, rather, my poem from DRIVE: The First Quartet in Book Three: PLAY, "Ave Maria" is reprinted and a link to my video from my reading of it at the Dodge Poetry Festival for Bill Moyers's documentaryn is featured on the page. (Don't click this link if I am dating you or about to date you, as it's not very flattering.) ;-)

The poem is a "Seven Minute" poem that came out of some workshops with the Xicana/o Writers Group in Denver. Unfortunately, it is a true and truly sad story about a promising young Chicana writer in one of the alternative high schools where I was presenting workshops. I never met her, but felt her story as the story was told to me. I wanted to honor her in that brief flash of time. The poem is unedited, written in about 5 minutes. I consider it a work of Spirit.

And, if you are in the San Diego area and want to take a break from it all, I'll be reading/performing as the Laurie Okuma Memorial speaker tomorrow on November 8 at 7:00 p.m. in Room LA2203 in the library at San Diego State University. Come and say, "Hey!"

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyle Daggett said...

Lorna, of all the poems in DRIVE, "Ave Maria" was the one that moved me the most deeply, the one I've sent to other poet friends, the one I keep with me in my memory. One of the poems I'll go back to again when I need to remind myself why we human beings write poems.

I also did go to the video link, and whoever started the rumor about it not being very flattering obviously was misinformed. ;-)

I loved the video of your reading it, made me remember how I loved listening to you read this past fall.

If you happen to cross paths with poet Maggie Jaffe (I think she works at SDSU, last I knew), pass along my hello. For a number of years she's been involved with Cedar Hill Books -- not sure how much the press is doing new books these days but they're still carrying their existing titles. They've done some good ones.

First little licks of winter this week here, temps in the 20's at the bus stop in the morning, wind sharp out of the north. Forecast says it will get slightly milder this weekend, will see.

7/11/07 19:48  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Hey Lyle, thank you! And, thank you, Lyle. ;-)

11/11/07 13:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next