Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lorna Dee's Top Ten Favorite Movies

I was going to post this the other day -- seemed fitting since some were in the movie judging mode. Sam of Ten Thousand Things tagged me a while ago on this. This is a hard one for me: I hate to go to movies by myself. And there's a lot of movies I haven't seen. Plus, this just plain makes me nervous. First thing I thought of was, "Oh, I can't wait to see Barbara Jane's list." But then, when I considered it, I have seen a lot of good movies; I can be a bit of a film buff. But this list is for "all-time favorite movies, as I understand it, not just "best." If I were picking best movies, my list would look a lot like Barbara's, with "Rashoman" and "Ran" at the top and a good sprinkling of Bunuel and Jodorowski. But this list includes movies that I've seen over and over again and would watch again and still like them. And, I generally never like to see the same film twice. This list is a date list, those movies I think of if I'm thinking of someone new, those "have you seen this movie?' movies. Mostly upbeat. I listed them in reverse order first, David Letterman style, the way I wrote it out initially. And, as this is always hard, I thought of ten more. Also, I cheated on number nine - you can pick your own favorite of the two. Besides, I listed a documentary as my 3rd choice, so you can always toss it instead.

Now, do you. What's your All-Time Top Ten Favorite Movies?

10. El Topo (Jodorowski)
9. Harold and Maude/ Gone With the Wind
8. Lilies of the Field
7. Little Big Man
6. 'Round Midnight
5. The Color Purple
4. The Commitments
3. Chulas Fronteras (Les Blanc)
2. Smoke Signals (Sherman Alexie, screenplay)
1. The Wizard of Oz

11. Ragtime
12. Gigio (?) (Jackie Gleason)
13. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
14. Julia
15. Reds
16. Bagdad Cafe
17. Milagro Beanfield War
18. Slaughterhouse Five
19. The Grapes of Wrath
20. Play It Again, Sam
runner-up: Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great list ... This is a hard one, but I'll give it a try:

Manhattan
Almost Famous
Duck Soup
Dr. Strangelove
The Snapper
The Man Who Would Be King
To Kill a Mockingbird
Cool Hand Luke
Four Little Girls (the Spike Lee doco)
Y tu Mama Tambien

If you asked me tomorrow, I would probably name 10 others, because I'm just that fickle!

28/2/07 11:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lorna.

Movies, that's tough, like trying to pick a top 10 Beatles songs. Here goes ...

Blood Simple
Jean de Florette
Glengarry Glenross
Iron Monkey
Matewan

Uggh! Top 5 - as far as I get.

What about top 10 Beatles songs?

28/2/07 18:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next