Sunday, April 16, 2006

"Silver" (7-Minute NaPoWriMo Poem for April 14)

Silver




suddenly appears the day after you went,
after spring pretended to die and the left
behind clouds decided to snow; the blizzard
happened in the midst of your constant laugh,
my last remembrance of you. Every time you are here
you are laughing -- that host, the mind's eye, grinning.

Now the mountains have lost their silver threads,
the hot rock reddens with the sun, and I think of you,
the gray hairs you teased me about wanting. "Stick around,"
you said, "you'll get them." The western landscape punctuates
the sky, the lost score of the peaks waiting to be sung.
I wish away the life I was without you, the handy
threads I pull to get away, the reasons,
unreasonable then, for why you left. And now,
without you, I feel your hand on my shoulder,
the steel of your fingers guiding, and the light --
the light there -- right there, providing.



(for Eileen Tabios)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
written in 7 minutes for National Poetry Writing Month for April 14

Get your daily NaPoWriMo poem topic/ title here, then scroll down.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diana Marie Delgado said...

L.,

When will your poetry/lecture from the AWP/Austin be public? I didn't get to hear, so I'm waiting for it. Can't wait to read/hear it. :)

17/4/06 05:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next