MeMe Meme: Thirteen More Things On A Thursday About Me That Are Weird
- I sing best when I'm yawning. Ask T. It always gets a laugh. It's the only time I have perfect pitch.
- I burst into spontaneous song when confronted by opera. I hate opera. (Sorry, Rebecca, I know you wrote a truly great opera by how much I can't listen to it and how much I want to bust out in soprano.) But before you start planning to take me to Carmen (why is it always Camen?) I have a good excuse. I was conditioned early on when in 7th grade and Alfonse Lewis took some of us "disadvantaged" kids to the SF Opera House. I was overwhelmed by the extreme precision of the opening strings (of, you guessed it, Carmen) and my friends and I started laughing nervously. The opera had just begun, and I wasn't being that loud, when a woman in fur and wearing big cocktail rings slammed me upside the head so hard I saw stars on the ceiling. It hurt so bad, and there wasn't even a warning. Nor was I the loudest kid. But I was the darkest. I was mortified. It was like the conditioning scene in Clockwork Orange. I just can't listen to opera. Ever. It just represents too damned much. So I sing, loud and goofy. I'm pretty good, too. But not as good as when I'm yawning. My son still remembers opera singing when he was a toddler. Him and Mami singing goofy opera real loud in the bath.
- I like to read cookbooks for relaxation. Bon Apetit is my favorite foodie magazine because it seems less class bound. I honor good food writers and consider them to be the true philosophers of the age.
- I write about birds so much because they insist upon bursting into my life in the oddest ways; more so when I was young, that adolescent portal to other realms. Anyone who knew me in high school, for example, knows I had a weird thing going with birds. I've only owned one bird for one day because I placed it on the mantel over the heater -- which went on in the middle of the night. I prefer my birds in the wild. And, they probably prefer to be way away from my house.
- I know how to catch a bird. I knew of a man, a curandero, who could catch them with his hands. I know how to catch a wild salmon in the river with my bare hands but I've never tried it.
- I've had reoccurring prophetic dreams which have saved my life.
- I was a sickly child and secretly identified with the aristocratic Robert Louis Stevenson.
- I secretly believe I am Dylan Thomas's reincarnation. (but you knew that) It would serve him right.
- I'm a bloody hermit.
- I always end up being the one to tend to "crazy people" whether it was talking people down from bad trips or taking care of psychotics at the big peace action.
- I love cooking for 400 people. I have a near pathological need to cook too much food. Maybe that's why I don't have dinner parties anymore. Besides the fact, I married a fellow hermit.
- I can't keep my dishes washed or my checkbook balanced. (but you knew that)
- I love sour cream herring and pickled onions on a blue corn chip with salsa and a cilantro leaf,
Now, do you. Like any writer, I'm nosey.