Thursday, March 17, 2005

Current Favorite Poem As Soundtrack: Orlando Ramirez—"Being a Chicano bores me..."

I Was Crazy Before I Was Chicano



Being a Chicano bores me
It's like getting stuck in the outfield
for five straight innings
without a beer.

Like I said, I was crazy
before I was Chicano.
Now I know nothing has changed.

My friend says that
pretty soon they're going to outlaw
Chicanos.
What am I going to do?
Chicanos have already made an outlaw
out of me.

Having always been
at the free-throw-line of life,
the pressures are just the same
when it's your raza
who are shouting at you to miss.



c Orlando Ramírez
Mango, Vol. 1, Num. 1, 1976

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next